Sunday, January 28, 2007

Typos Doth Vex Me

It's a good thing I'm not a proofreader by trade. My head would have blown up by now.

From an internet radio site: "so you can listen in the future without the hastle". Yes, the little red underline thingy just means that I'm spelling it with emphasis!

From the footer of a Yahoo! e-mail: "Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast". Because everyone knows that weather comes from mountains. The tops of the mountains, or "peaks", tear holes in the clouds. That's where rain comes from. Ripped clouds.

I really don't get it. I mean, I understood it (to some degree) when people didn't have spell checkers to do it for them. But even this blog writing applet underlines the words that aren't words! So, I've decided I'm going to speak in typo from now on. I'm joining the masses. When I meet people, I'm going to say "Heee" instead of "Hi". "Shoe" instead of "sure", things like that. Changing vowels here, stretching consonant pairings there... if I'm consistent I'm pretty sure I can get some sort of pity funding. At the very least, I'll get people to leave me the hell alone.

2 comments:

Dzeni said...

You should try reading the "help wanted" adds online (at least over here in NZ). These ads, posted by "professionals" are often full of typos / misspellings! Am I the only one who finds this annoying??

Wontar said...

I agree completely. And no, you're not the only one. Actually, I blame so-called professionals for the initiating the degradation of the English language. The misuse of the apostrophe s can be directly attributed to an ad campaign or two, and people take that as linguistic gospel because they have no confidence in their own abilities.