Monday, October 04, 2004

Work is always full of surprises. I was surprised to learn that I was named the supervisor of a new unit comprised of people from two other areas. Surprised because prior to that point, I thought I was going to be logically named the "Technical Advisor", as that position recently came into being on our org chart. I don't know why I thought this, because logic has no place at the IRS. And really, having me in that position would really just be a waste of the 12 years of experience I have working with the blasted program. What's that worth, really? I'd be much better suited to babysitting. Because I'm so damn personable.

So, I'm in charge of a new group of people. I found this out at 1:30 PM on a Thursday. When was I supposed to take charge of these people? 8:00 AM Friday, of course! No list of people, no place for them (or me) to sit, no nothing. Typical forethought and planning at its finest. On the plus side, though, it only took a little over one day to find out *why* the unit was created in the first place. That's some kind of record. I don't think it's a particularly necessary reason, but hey, that's me and the whole logic thing again.

Strangely enough, it's been going well. Much better than my blood pressure would have indicated on Thursday. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: