Monday, March 07, 2005

My current task at work is doing some programming. After a fashion. Hard to explain, because it's just such a bass-ackwards way to do things. Let's put it this way... the emulator that we use has a little "add-on" application. When it was first introduced to us about a year and a half ago, we were all incredibly nonplussed by it. It did the equivalent of typing five keys with one keystroke. Big deal. Thing is, though, that there's a hell of a lot more to this little "add-on". It's pretty damn impressive, actually. I mean, really impressive. It's taken two weeks for me to wrap my head around the programming language, because it's different (or just annoyingly different enough) than anything else I've ever worked with. But so far, I've been able to save a hell of a lot of routine and boring keystrokes, and automate entire processes that normally took minutes into a couple seconds. And the only reason they take that long is because I put pauses in there to see it happen. I'll take those out tomorrow, and it'll fly. I'll probably save another couple million bucks, and get a pack of gum for my troubles. Oh well. At least it's fun to learn something new and have it actually work the same way as I see it in my head.

No comments: