Friday, February 18, 2005

I'm watching the extended DVD version of Lord of the Rings for the bajillionth time. (And I'll watch it a bajillion times more, dammit!) The overwhelming feeling I get when watching it: I want to be there. And I don't just mean out adventuring and questing and crap. I mean I want to be somewhere where the people actually work together towards a common goal. They feel so strongly about their goal that they'll do whatever it takes to get there. I'm not just talking about the movie, either. No no. I'm also talking about the behind the scenes stuff. Watching what all these people did, designing individual items like belt buckles and arrowheads by hand just so every split second of the film looks authentic. For god's sake, they wrote on the tips of arrowheads! You never see the arrowheads! But they did it, because that's what the characters/races would have done. And they absolutely love what they're doing. (Well, did. You know what I mean.)

How I would love to actually enjoy what I do for a living. Hell, at this point I'd settle for not being sickened by what I do for a living. That'd be a step up. A huge step up.

No comments: