Friday, July 15, 2005

It's Funny to Me

I don't like to discuss politics or things political. I just don't. Sure, I exploded over the presidential election, but that was pretty much it from me politics-wise. But here's something from Wil Wheaton (yes, that Wil Wheaton) that just needed to be shared. Yep, violence in video games is a worthwhile crusade. You go Hillary. Violent video games are what made me the madman I am today. The hours of playing Jumpman taught me to leap off of ladders. Hell, Seven Cities of Gold taught me that it was OK to wipe out entire Indian villages. (That's back when we could still call them "Indians", and not "Native Americans".) (And Native Americans aren't "native", but that's a whole other thing.) Video games and the violence contained therein are a release, not an actuator. The piddling amount of violence in those early video games kept me from eviscerating fellow schoolmates. As the graphics got better, so did I. Even during my years working in the Den of Stupid, I played video games. (Thank you Morrowind, for keeping me out of an institution!) As for the sex in video games... hey, if that's all they're doing, then good. If they figure out how to view it, then that means they're developing a job skill. Besides, if parents are really concerned, then maybe they shouldn't buy the games little Timmy cries about without looking at them first. Just a thought. But what the hell do I know. I don't have kids.

No comments: