Friday, July 29, 2005

My Boss is Weird

I'm slacking off. (No, that's not another pantsless reference.) Working for oneself is time consuming, but since I do most of that work on the computer there isn't much of an excuse for not posting. Oh! I know! The boss will see me if I'm blogging and not working! (Get it? Self employed? Makes it almost impossible to file a sexual harassment suit against your employer.) Been doing some designing of banners and stuff, some shameless self-promoting of the online stores... you know, all the stuff I need to do to keep the boss happy. I've even dusted off an old book I started to write, way back when. Yes, write. Not read. Before my creativity was dammed (and damned) and diverted by a job almost everyone I met told me I shouldn't be in. (He says, ending his sentence in a preposition.) It's interesting to read my style of writing from over ten years ago, and see how it's changed. The characters are kind of waking up in my head, too. I'll get moments where a scene just pops into my head, and I have to type it out for inclusion. (I don't scribble things down. I type them out. Because I want to be able to read them later on.) For the curious, it's a horror story. Even though it's a horror story, it has nothing to do with my former employer. Go figure.

I come from a long line of self-employed people. Both sets of grandparents were self-employed, my parents were self-employed... I know it takes a lot of hard work and all that kind of stuff. Those who know me know I am capapble of hard work. The part that's going to take some getting used to is actually feeling rewarded for the hard work. Thirteen years of negative conditioning to rail against, after all.

No comments: