Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Who Watches the Watcher?

I started off today by being very, very, very angry. Not only angry, but angry on the phone. I absolutely hate the phone. Hate it with a passion. (You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.) (Thanks, Bruce.) Rather than go into a long-winded diatribe of why I'm angry/who made me angry, I'm going to give an unsolicited plug for an extremely cool website: StatCounter. They have a hit counter/web tracker that is absolutely top-notch. They have a free service as well as a subscription service, but the free service has a ton of features for your average user. If you have a website, or a blog, and are curious to know who is coming by to view your stuff, I highly recommend their service. For example, I can log in and tell that I had 1,153 page loads on my sites, and 723 of them were unique users. I had visitors from the US, Singapore, India, the UK, Switzerland, Canada, Japan, Finland, Honduras, China, Estonia, and the Philippines. How cool is that? Makes you really appreciate what that first "W" is in "WWW". I can tell where they came from and how long they stayed. It's also how I found out that people were stealing my site content. If that's a concern, then check them out.

No, I don't get a referral or a "finder's fee" for sending you to them. It's just cool. Interesting to know who's coming by for a visit, and who's coming by to steal your silverware.

No comments: