Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I Didn't Know I Was So Popular

In recent days, I've had a couple different people (well, one person and one organization) download my entire website. The whole thing. I don't think it's because I have innovative web design, because quite frankly my layout sucks. I don't think it's because I'm just so funny, because there are plenty of people who can spit bile better than I. And I don't think it's because of my proliferation of banner ads, either. I've seen sites that have a hell of a lot more than mine. Needless to say, having the entire contents of my website stolen didn't make me happy. Not even a little. Thanks to Jeff, I've been able to block certain people from even viewing the page so they can't steal anything else. I actually knew something about art and copyright from my college days, but a quick search showed me that things have even improved since 1990. So, this will serve as a "public notice" kind of thing to everyone...

My site is copyrighted. It's even clearly marked as such, now. (Thank you so much for making me do that.) But even prior to the branding, it was copyrighted. That means that the stuff on there is mine, except of course for links to other sites and other people. (I may have made the link, but I didn't make the other person's/organization's site.) If you download my site, I'm going to know about it, and I'm going to pursue you with all the legal fervor at my disposal. I'm sure there are copyright lawyers out there who would love to have a client who knows exacly when and where their property was stolen, and keeps records to boot.

If you're home and enjoying my diatribe, great! Hope you get a chuckle or two. The people who aren't supposed to be looking at my site have already been stopped. If they try anything new, I'll stop them again, and then litigate. It's that simple.

I haven't been this mad in a long time. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and look at our mountain view and calm down.

Update - A big "Hello!" again to my fans at the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority!

No comments: