Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Art of Thinking Fast; or "What Not to Say to Another Man If You're Straight"

Deb and I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to pick up some stuff for the new place. One of the things we needed was some hardware to attach the kitchen table legs, as we can't find the original stuff. So, as we're wandering around the store (and I've got a manly armload of white plastic bathroom organizers, clothes hangers, and wee baskets), Timmy the Wal-Mart Associate comes up to us and says: "Can I help you folks find something?" To which I look Timmy square in the eye and say: "Yes, do you have nuts?"

Mind you, I didn't stop talking there. I'm just pausing in my narrative to give you a chance to laugh at me.

As soon as I realized what I had said, my brain kicked into "emergency clarification of double-entendre mode", so what I said sounded more like: "Yes, do you have nuts... bolts, washers, that kind of stuff?" But where those three dots are (some would call that an ellipsis) is where the little voice in my head was both laughing and screaming at me at the same time. Not a pretty sound, so I'm glad I'm the only one who can hear it.

In other news, you may have noticed the proliferation of ads and stuff on my site. There are two reasons for that. The first is that we've been playing around with these online survey things, and have discovered that you really can do pretty well with them. I made about 40 cents a minute playing games, and Deb is just rocketing us up into the next tax bracket. (Well, not quite. But in two days she's made more than what we spend on food in a week. And we don't cook.) If you've got a spare hour or two in your day, check them out. You'll earn some mad money, or kill some time. Oh yeah. The second reason is that I get credit for referring people. So, click away!

Finally, we got back the pics from the non-digital camera yesterday. I'm going to scan them in and make pages for them in the near future. Isn't that exciting?

No comments: