Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Geocentric = Everything Revolves Around A Car

Here's a quote from a New York Times article: "One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century."

The article has some other interesting gems in it, but that one knocked me out of my chair. Not because I don't believe it, but because even with all my cynicism I didn't think it was quite that bad. Not only does that explain why I don't get to drive a flying car here in the far-flung year of 2005, but it also explains the resurgent fascination with creationism. It's much easier to say "God did it" or "That mystical piece of toast did it" than to actually stop and read a book or do some research. Putting the responsibility onto someone else is an unfortunate theme amongst humans. I saw it at my former place of employment, and it continues full force. "God done did it all, and now I'm gonna go watch me some NASCAR and then some wrasslin'." Soon to be printed on the newly-designed currency for our blossoming theocracy. After all, them NASCAR cars go around in circles, just like the Sun goes around the Earth! That makes it a divine sport!

No comments: